Recently, when I was washing my face, I noticed my skin felt tight after cleansing. However when I went for my moisturizer, it was almost completely empty. I honestly was surprised because I had only just bought it and I was confused as to how I could have gone through it so fast. Then I realized, my skin always feels really tight after cleaning and I end up coating it with moisturizer just to get that tightness to ease up. It is also not very cost effective either as I am purchasing moisturizer over and over.
So I buckled down, I did my research and I found an all natural facial cleanser that you can make at home too! There is only a short supply of things you need such as:
- Essential Oils – A set or a select few that you particularly like. It is up to you which oil you want in the facial cleaner however a few oils help with acne, sun spots, and skin toning.
- Carrier Oil – This can be anything from Coconut oil , Jojoba oil, Carrot seed oil, and Olive oil. Depending on your skin type will depend on what kind of carrier oil you should use. I have combination skin so for my cleanser I used Jojoba oil. If you have very oily skin then Coconut oil may be better. And If you have very dry skin then Carrot seed oil may be better. However it’s important to figure out what works best for your skin so try a few things and see what works.
- Unscented Baby Soap – I believe you can use any brand however I do recommend specifically Dr. Bronner’s Unscented Baby-Castile Soap. This is a very mild soap and I love it for the fact that it is unscented so it won’t disrupt the scent I am trying to achieve with the essential oils.
- Amber-stained glass bottles – in order the preserve the essential oils you have to keep it from harmful light, so it is important to get amber stained glass containers and jars depending on what skin care products you infuse with the essential oils.
- Foam soap dispenser(Optional) – It is a bit odd however I love how the foam soap feels vs. just putting the mix on your hand. There are a few different kinds that can work with the jars, however, I just used on from an old soap container I had before. I just make sure to seal the Amber bottle after each use.
Once you have all of your supplies, it’s on to the recipe!
- Start with your glass bottle, I would recommend a 8oz bottle, it fill it with 4oz of filtered water.
- Add about 2oz of the Dr. Bronner’s Soap to the water mix, and gently stir.
- Add the Essential oils! I put 10 drops of Lavender, 8 drops of Frankincense, 3 drops of Tea tree and 2 drops of Lemon. Mix thoroughly.
- Lastly add the Carrier oil. I used 2 tablespoons of Jojoba oil and mix again.
There you go! This facial cleanser is very gentle and it feels amazing on the skin! When I finish, I don’t even need moisturizer because the Jojoba oil is enough. This mix is totally fine at room temperature. Only thing to remember is that the soap and oil can settle so always mix before use.